Form Pre-Population in core Eloqua

Version 2

Overview

In light of the upcoming deprecation of the Form Population App, Oracle Eloqua is introducing several new ways to pre-populate form fields directly within the Eloqua platform. Customers using the existing Form Population App are requested to start using the new form pre-population functionality as soon as it becomes available. Customers are reminded that the existing Form Population App will be deprecated as of March 31, 2017, and all existing instances of the App will cease to function.

What’s changing?

As of March 31, 2017, the Form Population App created by Oracle Eloqua will be deprecated and all existing instances of the app on your Eloqua landing pages will cease to function. As such, Oracle Eloqua is introducing several new ways to pre-populate form fields from directly within the Eloqua platform. To pre-populate your form fields, you can choose from the following new options:

• Preference Center: Pre-populate form fields with checkboxes to present a contact’s current subscription status and allow them to update their preferences by selecting or deselecting that checkbox (can be used for individual email groups or global subscription management; see documentation for details). Availability: Now Available

• Query Strings: Create a Field Merge using the Query String option to pre-populate a form field with the query string’s value (this type of Field Merge is only available on non-redirect form fields; see documentation for details). Availability: Arrives with Eloqua 485 (Jan 10 – 22, 2017)

• Advanced Field Merge via Custom Data Objects: Create a Field Merge using new advanced Custom Data Object selection criteria and use it anywhere Field Merges are accepted, including for form pre-population. Availability: Arrives with Eloqua 485 (Jan 10 – 22, 2017)

• Static Values: Use a static value to pre-populate fields with specific information on a per-form, per-landing page basis (1:1 relationship currently). Availability: Now Available

As a reminder, as of Feb 1, 2017 you will no longer be able to add new instances of the Form Population App to new/existing landing pages, and as of March 31, 2017, all existing instances of the Form Population App will cease to function. You are encouraged to start using the new pre-population form field functionality directly within the Eloqua platform immediately. Customers using the existing Form Population App are requested to start using the new form pre-population functionality directly within Eloqua as soon as it becomes available.

Timeline

As of Feb 1, 2017 you will no longer be able to add new instances of the Form Population App to new/existing landing pages, and as of March 31, 2017, all existing instances of the Form Population App will cease to function. You are encouraged to start using the new pre-population form field functionality directly within the Eloqua platform immediately.

Next Steps

If you are currently using the Form Population App on any of your Eloqua landing pages, you will need to determine a new solution to accomplish your task without relying on the app. As the Form Population app will no longer function as of March 31, 2017, you are encouraged to read up on the new pre-population form field options now available directly within the Eloqua platform, to identify the best path forward for you.

Additional Resources

FAQ

Q: What happens if we want to use the form with pre-population on a non-Eloqua landing page? Will copying the HTML work? (For example, if I wanted to add the form to my corporate website.)

A: While it is possible to embed an Eloqua Form on a non-Eloqua Landing Page and pre-populate it with Eloqua-hosted data (see documentation and Do It post), the pre-population portion requires a great deal of custom code and configuration. If you embed an Eloqua form on an external page, any pre-population built into that form using Eloqua’s Form Editor will not work. Eloqua-generated pre-population only works on forms embedded on Eloqua landing pages.

Q: I’ve been using the Form Population app across multiple landing pages but only using one form. What happens when the app goes away?

A: Core Eloqua form pre-population works on a 1:1 basis with landing pages. Where the app allowed you to create a 1:N relationship, you’ll now need individual forms tied to individual landing pages to achieve the same use cases.

Q: What is the impact if I choose to use the new Preference Center subscription management checkboxes on a custom Landing Page instead of the out-of-the-box System Action links?

A: The landing page will be tracked. This behavior exists currently with those who already have custom subscription landing pages.

Q: Can I pre-populate picklists now?

A: Picklist pre-population is not included in this release, though it is on the roadmap.

Q: Is this functionality available on E9, too?

A: The core Eloqua Form pre-population functionality is only available in E10.

Q: How do these enhancements work with the introduction of Visitor ID and Cookie ID?

A: When a Recipient ID is unavailable, Visitor ID and Cookie ID may help populate these fields based on what Eloqua knows about that visitor, just as it would if you were using an existing Field Merge.

Q: Will my old Field Merges continue to work now that there is a new way to select CDOs?

A: You bet! These enhancements will not affect existing Field Merges. However, you can always add the new advanced criteria to an existing component if you want.

Q: Can I use these new pre-population methods with a Hidden Field on my Form?

A: Of course! Static values, Query String Field Merges, and Field Merges created with the advanced CDO selection criteria can all populate a Hidden Field. However, it’s important to note that checkboxes cannot be hidden, and therefore the subscription management enhancement cannot be used this way.

Q: Does the new Query String Field Merge type support Unicode characters when creating a query string key?

A: No, but this may be supported in a future release.

Q: Why can’t I use the Query String Field Merge type on a Form field with the Redirect to Web Page Form Processing Step?

A: This represents a security issue known as an open redirect. To protect you, your contacts, and Oracle, we deliberately validate against such a combination.