UPDATE (March 7, 2018): We have added more details concerning the data retention changes for Website Activities and Form Submission Data. For further information, please see the updated Timeline below.
Want to Learn More? Watch our On-Demand Data Retention Customer Briefing now [45 mins]
At the beginning of January 2016, Oracle Eloqua announced a new retention policy on storing marketing activities. Customers who wish to export marketing activities that are older than 25 months the deadline to do so is before July 1st, 2016. After July 1st, Oracle Eloqua will be able to apply retention on marketing activities that are older 25 months in any future release or maintenance window.
For the most part these changes will not change your day-to-day access of your marketing activity data, but these changes make our approach to retention of data more consistent across the entire Eloqua platform. The changes will also help us continue to meet the performance demands for our ever growing customer base and reduce the time of our scheduled maintenance windows.
- Starting in July 1, 2016, Oracle Eloqua will be introducing a new retention policy on marketing activities that will allow Campaign, Email, Form and Website Activity data to be stored for at least 25 months past the activity date.
- This policy is being put in place to help us continue to meet the performance demands of our ever growing customer base and help reduce the time of our scheduled maintenance windows.
- Once retention is applied and enforcement begins, you will begin to see:
- Campaign, Email, Form and Website Activity available for Lead Scoring will be available for at least 25 months from the activity date.
- Campaign, Email, Form and Website Activity for Bulk API Export will be available for at least 25 months from the activity date.
- Emails sent to a contact will automatically be prevented from being sent to the same contact again for at least 25 months after the email send date, unless explicitly permitted by the user.
- Campaign, Email, Form, and Website Activity data in Insight will be available for at least 25 months from the activity date
- Campaign, Email, Form, and Website Activity data in decision rules in both campaign canvas and program builder will be available for at least 25 months from the activity date
- With the 485 release, Eloqua will only store 25 months of lead scoring history for a contact. Lead scoring history is accessed via the scoring tab in the contact details screen, by clicking on a lead score from a model to expose historical scores.
- This new retention policy will not effect existing retention rules around email send preview history and cloud content history which remain at 120 and 30 days respectively.
- Raw form submission data is not impacted by the data retention changes.
- If you wish to retain campaign, email, form, and/or web activity that is older than 25 months in the past, it is recommended you export the activity data via the Bulk API and host it locally before July 1, 2016. In addition, for Eloqua10 customers, you can also manually export campaign, email, form and website reporting data where available from Insight reporting.
- Any timelines and scope of retention mentioned in this notice are subject to change.
Customer’s have until July 1st, 2016 to export any marketing activities that are older than 25 months. After July 1st, 2016 Oracle Eloqua can apply retention on marketing activities at any time.
- As of March 23, 2018, data retention will be applied to Website Activities.
- As of our 18B release (May 2018), data retention will be applied to Form Submission Data.
Check the Eloqua Release Center for release dates and times. Learn about updates to Eloqua's release and maintenance schedules starting January 2018.
Next Steps for Customers Admins
No action is necessary, unless you would like to retain data that is older than 25 months in the past. For more information on using the Bulk API please visit the Oracle Eloqua Developer Help Center or engage with either OMC services or technology partner, such as Relationship One.
Data Retention FAQ
Q: Why are we doing this?
A: This new retention policy will help us continue to meet the performance demands across our entire platform, provide consistency for data retention on activity data, and help reduce the time of our scheduled maintenance windows.
Q: What's the benefit of this retention policy?
A: Benefits will vary from customer to customer based on the customer profile and usage, however, in the past where retention has been applied, the following areas have shown some performance improvements:
- Segmentation on marketing activities such as Email Opens, Email Sends, Email Click-throughts, and website visits
- Improved email sending performance by reducing email recipient batch compilation time
- Lead Scoring where Campaign Responses, Form, Email and Website Activity is referenced
- Bulk API Export of Campaign, Email, Form, and Website activities
Note: Actual results will vary for each customer depending on their profile, usage, and subject to overall system load and performance.
Q: How will this impact reporting in Eloqua?
A: In Eloqua9, reporting on Campaign, Form, Email and Website Activity will be available for at least 25 months. In addition, if an Eloqua9 customer migrates to Eloqua10 after data retention enforcement they will have the same retention.
In Eloqua10, reporting on Campaign, Form, Email and Website Activity in will be available in Insight will continue to be available for at least 25 months.
Q: We're in the Financial Services sector and have specific retention requirements, how does this impact us?
A: The retention requirements in the financial services sector are much higher and consequently these customers should already have a scheme in place to archive relevant records. If you have specific compliance requirements, we recommend you implement Oracle Eloqua Premium Deliverability Cloud Service, which provides extended security and archiving compliance.
Q: Will activity data more than 2 years old be available in Profiler?
A: No, Marketing Activities is currently available for up to 2 years in Profiler.
Q: If I run a segment criteria with “opened email” or “visited page” will this result in only getting people who opened an email in the last two years?
A: Segmentation will be unaffected as currently activity filters cannot go more than 2 years back and it only checks up to 1 year interval.
Q: What if I want to keep raw activity data for longer than 25 months?
A: If you wish export campaign, email, form or website activity data beyond 25 months before July 1, 2016, you must use the Bulk API to export this data. The Bulk API documentation regarding exporting activities can be found here. Form activity can be exported manually or via the Bulk API as well.
Q: Are there any best practices for exporting activities using the Bulk API?
A: The limits and guidelines for using the Bulk API can be found here. You can find some additional examples of using the Bulk API here. In addition, when you using the Bulk API, please keep in mind the following:
- There is a limit of 5,000,000 records per activity export. Use filters to ensure fewer than 5,000,000 records are exported per bulk API sync. A common method of filtering is to use the activity created date to export a finite time period of activity, such as one month (larger or smaller based on volume of activity generation).
- Make multiple export requests sequentially, not in parallel. Allow the sync to finish before executing the following sync. This will help ensure success when exporting a large volume of data.
- Export one activity type at a time. Do not run syncs for all activity types simultaneously. This will help ensure success when exporting a large volume of data.
Q: Will this retention policy effect global email unsubscription or bounceback status?
A: No. Email Unsubscription and hard bounceback status or history is not covered in this retention policy.
Q: Will my contact data be impacted by this retention policy?
A: No. Data stored on Contact, Account, and Custom Object Records are not included in this retention policy.
Q: Will raw form submission data be impacted by this retention policy?
A: Yes. Form submission data will be impacted by the retention policy as of our 18B release. See the Timeline section above for more details.
Q: How will Lead Scoring on activity data be impacted by this retention policy?
A: Engagement criteria with Campaign, Email, Form and Website activities for Lead Scoring will now be available for at least 25 months from the activity date.
Q: What activity data is available via the Bulk API?
A: You can find the list of available activity types here for the Bulk API.
Q: Will marketing assets apply to this new retention policy?
A: No. marketing assets and components such as campaigns, emails, segments, forms, landing pages, and related components will not be impacted by this retention policy.
Q: How does this retention policy impact the sending of activity data to a CRM?
A: Activities previously sent over to an integrated CRM will be not be effected by this retention policy as this data should now be stored in CRM.
Q: What was the previous retention policy on marketing activities?
A: There was no previous retention policy on marketing activities, however, several areas of the application such as segmentation, Profiler, and several default reports today already allowed for retrieval of up to 2 years worth of data.
Q: Can I buy more historical storage?
A: No, not at this time. It is recommended that should you want activity data beyond 25 months, you export the activity data via the Bulk API and host it locally, in a data warehouse, or export where available, reporting data from Insight.
Q: Can I opt-out of the retention policy?
A: No, this policy will apply to all customers and trims of Oracle Eloqua. These changes are being made to continue to meet the performance demands for our ever growing customer base and reduce the time of our scheduled maintenance windows.
Q: Does this impact a contact's current lead score?
A: No, this change will only impact historical lead scores that are older than 25 months.