• 3,678,985 Users
  • 7,014 Discussions
  • 11,990 Comments

Discussions

Issue with Grand Total of "Unique" Rates in Eloqua Insight

Nareman Abdelkader
Nareman Abdelkader Posts: 4 Green Ribbon
edited Dec 18, 2018 3:10PM in Dream It

There are issues with how Grand Totals for "Unique" values are aggregating in the Eloqua Insight reporting tool.

For example, when pulling the reports on all the calculations for each email campaign, they appear correct separately but the "Grand Total" is calculated incorrectly and appears significantly less than it should be (i.e. Correct total for unique open rate for all email campaigns YTD has a 50.55% unique open rate but Insight incorrectly shows 18.91% unique open rate).

I am aware with the new Insight reporting that contacts are de-duplicated when calculating Grand Totals compared to Classic Insight. However, that type of calculation does not display any meaningful data and takes away from the cumulative performance of all campaigns reported on. More importantly, senior level executives will question why de-duplication is treated in the Grand Total when each campaign should be treated uniquely. Given that there is no current workaround in Insight, Eloqua users will be forced to create the proper calculations in an excel separately which is an inefficient use of Insight's capabilities and of the user's bandwidth.

In essence, the unique metrics should be calculated by:

• Unique Activities (unique opens, unique clickthroughs): Sum of Unique Opens or Clicks for EACH email
    • *Please note: I am aware you can use the "Sum" aggregation rule in Insight but recommend this be set as the default rule for all Insight reports
  • Unique Rates (unique open rate, unique clickthrough rate): Unique Open or Unique Clickthroughs divided by Total Delivered and multiply by 100 to get the percentage

Below is an example of a sample report pulled from Eloqua Insight (but I added what the correct Totals should be).

Can the Insight Product team further reexamine their current approach and please change the way "Grand Totals" are calculated for Unique values in Insight's reports?

Email NameTotal DeliveredUnique OpensUnique Open RateUnique ClickthroughsUnique Clickthrough Rate
Email A4,1202,14852.14%1222.96%
Email B4,1222,26154.85%862.09%
Email C4,1202,32556.43%1182.86%
Email D4,1151,59538.76%982.38%
Insight Total16,4773,11618.91%2701.64%
Correct/Recommended Total
16,4778,32950.55%4242.57%
Post edited by Unknown User on
71 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Nareman Abdelkader I experienced the same issue. I am just using Insight (no more old Insight). My total column for Open Rate had a lower rate than it should have. I tried various combinations and still the same. The individual email open rates are correct just not the aggregate total. This is a very basic functionality.

• This is a system-wide issue. Update from my Support ticket: "Additionally, I have spoken internally with my team in regards to how to edit formulas for "rate" based calculations in Insight. It seems that the rate based calculations are not functioning as expected at the moment, and many of our clients have been having trouble configuring formulas that will suit their needs for "rate" calculations. The developers are aware of the issues all our clients are facing with this and are working to fix it for a future update. I will post a link below to the "dream it" forum which our clients use to communicate with eloqua project managers. here you can enquire further about this issue and they may be able to provide you with a workaround."

• This is a system-wide issue. Update from my Support ticket: "Additionally, I have spoken internally with my team in regards to how to edit formulas for "rate" based calculations in Insight. It seems that the rate based calculations are not functioning as expected at the moment, and many of our clients have been having trouble configuring formulas that will suit their needs for "rate" calculations. The developers are aware of the issues all our clients are facing with this and are working to fix it for a future update. I will post a link below to the "dream it" forum which our clients use to communicate with eloqua project managers. here you can enquire further about this issue and they may be able to provide you with a workaround."

@abaldman

Let me clarify some things here:

• Aggregate totals of rates and unique metrics are functioning as expected.
    • You can customize the way that Insight aggregates unique totals. See   for example.
    • You cannot customize the way that rates are aggregated. These are always aggregated using de-duplicated calculations.

So, in the example above, I've highlighted what you can customize in an Insight report:

pastedImage_2.png

We are aware of the request to be able to customize the aggregated rates and are investigating it as a potential future enhancement.

• 2 more ideas covering the same topic. In every training i present i have to explain this issue and most novice users will always be reporting on lower click/opens than reality. Would really appreciate a fix for thie long lasting issue.

• I recently discovered the issue goes deeper than the totals.

I made 2 reports:

- deliverability by day

- deliverability by week

In each report i used a formula to group domain names into 6 groups (ms, yahoo,...) And showed unique open rate.

In the report by day the numbers for unique open rate were fine but by week we noticee the rate was significantly lower considering the by day were all good.

When looking into the issue we noticed that for each domain, each week the unique open rate was also following the wrong calculation and taking all sends/ unique contacts that opened  average rate should have been around 50% for the week but in the report it was 30. We noticed it as the differenfe got very drastic, we sent an internal mail 5 days in a row to the same segment so each time it was 5 contacts/1 open.

Using aggregation rules i could not find any fix.

• RichardGar
    RichardGar Posts: 16 Blue Ribbon

Completely agree on this.  Makes no sense at all. Plus I always have to explain this countless times why it never equals what everyone quite rightly thinks it should be.

• Nareman Abdelkader
    Nareman Abdelkader Posts: 4 Green Ribbon

I recently discovered the issue goes deeper than the totals.

I made 2 reports:

- deliverability by day

- deliverability by week

In each report i used a formula to group domain names into 6 groups (ms, yahoo,...) And showed unique open rate.

In the report by day the numbers for unique open rate were fine but by week we noticee the rate was significantly lower considering the by day were all good.

When looking into the issue we noticed that for each domain, each week the unique open rate was also following the wrong calculation and taking all sends/ unique contacts that opened  average rate should have been around 50% for the week but in the report it was 30. We noticed it as the differenfe got very drastic, we sent an internal mail 5 days in a row to the same segment so each time it was 5 contacts/1 open.

Using aggregation rules i could not find any fix.

Agreed, I frequently pull our monthly benchmarks and the unique open rates are now exacerbated. For instance, monthly "internal newsletters" Eloqua campaigns used to average around a 45% unique open rate with Classic Insight but with the new Insight, averages for unique open rate drastically dropped to 5%.

• d7edwards
    d7edwards Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon

Here is how you change the formula to calculate the columns that way you want to:

https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-1022281

• MorganD
    MorganD Posts: 6 Blue Ribbon

but mostly

^^^ The day when you realize that some aggregates can never reach 100%, ever.

Maybe the hardest part, like @Matt Stringer-Oracle mentioned, is to explain to management why all data until now is off, and the undertaking to correct is worth it.

> 0 traction.

The only redeeming quality of this confusing bottom line that totally looks like a sum total of what's on top of it, but reports on something very different, is to give a sense of how the campaign messaging performed against the audience and the relative amount of effort it took to get it seen.

But it is really a stretch...

Brought it up to support once, and they couldn't wrap their head around the issue.

Not helped by the fact that this is not touched upon anywhere in the documentation. Big let down.

• derek.bell
    derek.bell Posts: 59 Silver Badge

@JodyMooney-Oracle from what I can see, nothing has been done by the #OBIEE team to fix this, it was first raise mid July 2018. Can we assume Oracle plan to do nothing or will it be corrected? Can you please confirm that it will be fixed, yes or no and when. Surely three years and 12+ release later, there's been time.