Forum Stats

• 3,678,542 Users
  • 7,135 Discussions
  • 12,060 Comments

Discussions

Progressive Profiling Form fields on Email Forwards

Greetings, 

We see an issue when our customers forward emails to their peer and then they try to submit a progressive profiling form which is linked to the original recipient and hence capturing incorrect customer information.

BACKGROUND: We send emails to direct customers in the Eloqua contact database from the Eloqua campaigns that are linked with progressive profiling forms. The landing page consisting of the form shows only up to 4 fields that are empty for that respective customer as per the progressive profiling configuration on our Eloqua forms.

All the fields under progressive profiling are pre-populated using the field merge.

ISSUE: Few of the customers forwards the emails received to them to their colleagues. These forwarded emails are then accessed by new contacts that may or may not exist in Eloqua. Since the form mapped on the email has the linkage to the original customer to which the email was routed, the form opens up with the same progressive fields as per the original customer contact database. The fields that are not visible use the field merge and prepopulates the field value of the original customer in the form.

Does anyone else face this issue? How to tackle these cases?

Thanks!

Prateek Malik

Answers

• derek.bell
    derek.bell Posts: 57 Silver Badge

@Prateek Malik Given the percentage of forwarded emails is generally relatively low, I would have confidence that the recipient of the forwarded email knows their name and realises that the data pre-populated in the form is not theirs. They will then determine they needs to write over the values in the form and submit it with their own details is they want what the form has to offer.

I'd rather focus on the experience of the absolute majority of people who will experience a pre-populated form.

It's all cookie based and as far as I'm aware, the only option is to turn off the form pre-population for all contacts. That seems like a crazy decision in my books. The key benefit of the pre-population is increased form submission because there's much less for people to actually do when they reach the form, therefore a greater likelihood that they will complete the form.