Discussions

Interactive Dashboards Plus: Custom Report from a Standard Analysis (5/5)

Helen Lillard-Oracle
Helen Lillard-Oracle Principal Consultant, Expert ServicesPosts: 87 Employee
edited May 2, 2022 6:10AM in Responsys

This is the first part of the final post I'll be making this month on Interactive Dashboards and Interactive Dashboards Plus. I know that it's important for your teams to be comfortable in the new tool as Insight begins sun-setting, so please follow me to be updated every time I post. And I will be monitoring the comment sections, so if you have questions please feel free to post them! I'll do my best to reply.

You can find a free recording of my presentation on Interactive Dashboards on Oracle University.

Consider Carefully

Interactive Dashboards Plus is an advanced analytics feature – a full-fledged Business Intelligence tool, very powerful and complex – that can be activated on your account at no extra charge. It allows a user to build custom email reports either from scratch or by starting with an existing analysis. But it is much more than most clients will need. If you don't need it, great – don’t over-complicate your reporting. If you do need it, consider restricting access – as perhaps not everyone on your team needs to use it.

Keep in mind that in designing the standard report library on Interactive Dashboards, the Product team analyzed the custom reports clients had built on legacy Insight and how they used them. They found that many clients had a lot of custom reports, but only used a handful of them regularly, and they used this information to make the Interactive Dashboards catalog more flexible and robust. For instance, seeing that many clients created one-off reports to look at just one or two particular campaigns, they added the prompt feature to search for and select individual campaigns. We estimate that approximately 75% of the custom reports on classic Insight can be replicated in Interactive Dashboards without using Interactive Dashboards Plus functionality. So please consider carefully your use-case for Interactive Dashboards Plus before setting about to get it activated on your account.

To get access to this feature, you will need to complete two short – and free – online courses, with two quick quizzes. These are to help you get the most benefit from Interactive Dashboards Plus. These courses take only a few hours and then you can work with your CSM to open a service request to have Interactive Dashboards Plus activated on your account. The SLA on that ticket is 3-5 business days. Once Interactive Dashboards Plus is enabled, there will be an additional role available in your account settings: Email Analytics Author. The account administrator should assign this role to anyone who needs access to the custom report functions. It can take up to 10 minutes for a new role to be recognized by the system.

Building a Custom Report from a Standard Analysis

We are only going to cover modifying a standard report and saving it.

Once you have the Author role, when you view the catalog, you will see this option to “Edit” any of the reports you want.

Catalog Edit.jpg

It will open the analysis in the editor, defaulting to the Results tab (click image for more detail):

Editor Results.jpg

You can manipulate the report here on the Results tab much as you would on the Dashboard - exclude/include hidden columns, sort, rearrange, etc.

Editor Results Rightclick.jpg

There is an additional option to add a Grand Total line to the bottom (click image for more detail):

grand total.jpg

You are not changing the bones of the report here, just the layout. So if you only needed Interactive Dashboards Plus in order to save the a custom layout of a standard report so it can be scheduled using an Agent, this is all you really need.

The analyses are built in a compound layout and you can rearrange the elements or include additional views, like a variety of visualizations, from the bottom left corner.

New view.jpg

And each view (or module) on the report can be modified. You can format the container - which deals with cell alignment, borders, and even background colors.

Format Container.jpg

Here you can see that I have dragged and dropped the Filter element - usually at the bottom of the analysis - to the top under the Title, and I've used the Format Container options to left align the text (click image for more detail):

moved filter.jpg

And by clicking the Edit icon on the Title element, I can change the copy or text color of the title, or choose to display the saved name of the report:

Edit title.jpg

You can also change the properties for the table. The Data Viewing option controls whether you see Content Paging (default on standard reports) or a scrolling page.

Table Properties.jpg

Content paging means you get the little blue arrows that let you page down, or view up to 500 rows at once. You can set where these controls are placed and how many rows you want on a page.

paging.jpg

The other option is to use the Fixed headers with scrolling content. But unless you set your width and height preferences, the window will display quite small.

Fixed Header.jpg

Here I've set my width so it fills my screen, and you can see the scroll down the side (click for more detail):

Scrolling.jpg

If instead of just modifying elements in a standard analysis, you actually want to change the actual metrics available in the report (the options in "Include Column" menu aren't sufficient for your needs), then keep reading

Previous Post: Scheduling Reports by Email

Next Post: Changing the Bones of the Report

Post edited by OIT Integration User on
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Helen,

This new option allows to obtain reports of all brands on a single board?

Currently we are implementing Responsys in a Cliente that has 5 differentes Brands, and need to keep all the KPIs in one Dashboard and see all perfomance by bussines line is that possible?

Thanks.

Eric