Discussions

Insight (OBIEE) Tips | Using the results of an analysis as a filter

Otilia Antipa-Oracle
Otilia Antipa-Oracle Product ManagerPosts: 106 Employee
edited May 6, 2022 2:31PM in Eloqua

Here’s a tip that you can use to help efficiently build filters that you want to reuse.

Here is a scenario: you want to filter a bunch of reports by certain email domains. However, you don't want to have to re-create that filter every time

To do this, you can create an analysis that filters for the domains you want and then use the results of that analysis to filter other reports.

Here’s how you do it!

First create a report that includes only the Email Address Domain attribute and filter the domains that you want. I created mine using the Contact subject area and I’m filtering for some domains (example.com, example2.com, example3.com).

Tip: Email Address Domain is included in the Contacts attribute folder which is available in a load of subject areas. Have a look at the report matrix on what’s available in specific subject areas: Report Matrix

Now create your new report. As long as the Email Address Domain attribute is available in the subject area, you can use the first analysis as a filter.

Here I’m customizing a form submission report. Add a new filter and choose the More Columns option.

Choose the Email Address Domain attribute:

Create the filter using the operator is based on results of another analysis. In my example, I’m looking to include only results from the example domains.

And that is it! That analysis is used to filter my results.

Some final tips:

• You can use this solution to filter a common attribute. That means that you can filter across subject areas. But if the subject area doesn’t have the same attribute, the filter won’t work.
  • Create the report once with your filter criteria and reuse as many times if you need to. Have to make a change? Easily update just the single report instead of having to update multiple reports with the same changes.
  • Be sure to save your filter analysis in the Company Shared folder so that others can use it.

How can you use this technique in your custom reports?

Post edited by JodyMooney-Oracle on

Comments

• Good morning...

Is it possible to point me to the actual liunk supporting this statement in your writeup above?

Tip: Email Address Domain is included in the Contacts attribute folder which is available in a load of subject areas. Have a look at the report matrix on what’s available in specific subject areas: <link>

Thank you,

Jim

• Otilia Antipa-Oracle
    Otilia Antipa-Oracle Product Manager Posts: 106 Employee

Good morning...

Is it possible to point me to the actual liunk supporting this statement in your writeup above?

Tip: Email Address Domain is included in the Contacts attribute folder which is available in a load of subject areas. Have a look at the report matrix on what’s available in specific subject areas: <link>

Thank you,

Jim

Hey Jim,

This doc was moved to the help center, I've shared the link below.

You can reference the Report Matrix and review the Contacts folder to see the list of subject areas that use this folder.

https://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/marketingcs_gs/OMCAA/Help/Insight/ReportMatrix.htm

I've also updated the post with the new link, thanks!

Oa