Discussions

Insight (OBIEE) Tips: Hidden gems in the Email Address Status attribute

Otilia Antipa-Oracle
Otilia Antipa-Oracle Product ManagerPosts: 91 Employee
edited May 6, 2022 2:25PM in Eloqua

In Eloqua Insight, the Email Address Status attribute tells you about the global subscription status of a contact.

The facts

Attribute Name: Email Address Status

Attribute Location: Contact

Subject Areas:

Email Analysis by Send Date, Email Bounceback, Email Clickthrough, Email Open, Email Sales Activity, Email Unsubscribe, Form Submission, Opportunity by Closed Date, Opportunity by Created Date, Contact Lists, Contacts, Email Frequency by Month, Email Frequency, Landing Page Analysis, Query String Parameters, Webpage Activity, Web Visit Analysis, Email Activity, Email Group Subscribe, Email Send, Form Submission Data, Campaign Analysis Campaign, Activity by Activity Date, Campaign External Activity, Campaign Response, Campaign Activity by Asset

Possible Values:

• Blank
  • Bounceback
  • Subscribed

Key insights

• How many hard bounce contacts do I have?
  • How many globally subscribed contacts to I have?

The caveats

In practice, there are more than 3 values for this attribute.

Here is a simple contact report using this attribute. The results show… two blank rows?

What does that mean? Well, it is showing me that there are more values for this attribute than what I see in the UI. Here are the additional values:

• -1 = Deleted contacts
  • 0 = Unsubscribed contacts

To view these states properly, you can use binning.

What is binning?

The Oracle BI online help describes it as: Binning enables you to combine values for a column into sets. For example, suppose that the Region column has a value EASTERN. You can specify "My Home Region" instead as the text that displays for that value in the results view that displays that column's data.

Basically we can use bins to change the value that is displayed in a column. Let’s take a look.

To create a bin:

1. On the Criteria tab, next to the Email Address Status column, click Settings > Edit Column Formula.
  2. Click the Bins tab and click Add Bin.

1. The first bin will be for the status we know. So, in the Value field, enter 0.
  2. Enter the bin name Unsubscribed and we’ve created our first bin.
  3. Add another bin to capture -1 status. And here are the final bins:

Now have a look at the results:

Final thoughts

By using this binning method and getting a glimpse of globally unsubscribed and deleted contacts, you can get some additional insights.

This simple report is giving you some info on your contact database. But this attribute is in most subject areas. So consider these thoughts:

• Use this as another method to filter deleted or unsubscribed contacts from your reports
  • Add a calendar attribute and look at the trend of deleted or unsubscribed contacts
  • In campaign or email reporting, learn more about the contacts that unsubscribed. Did they engage in your campaigns previously? Try to figure out if they mattered to your org and how that could impact your email campaigns.

Post edited by JodyMooney-Oracle on

Comments

• Matt Stringer
    Matt Stringer Posts: 16 Blue Ribbon

Fantastic to have this information, very useful, thanks!

• User_SPCFZ
    User_SPCFZ Posts: 1 Red Ribbon

This is really helpful, I knew about that field but was really confused when I saw those values.  That being said, it would be much more straightforward if this translation was built directly into insight and we were able to skip this step.  Like anything else the more steps you add, the greater the risk for complications.  Could someone from product please weigh in and clarify if that is big fix and if they can just make on the next release (if not sooner)

-MD

• Astrid80335
    Astrid80335 Posts: 8 Red Ribbon

It would be great to be able to split into Hardbouncebacks and Softbouncebacks.

• This is really helpful, I knew about that field but was really confused when I saw those values.  That being said, it would be much more straightforward if this translation was built directly into insight and we were able to skip this step.  Like anything else the more steps you add, the greater the risk for complications.  Could someone from product please weigh in and clarify if that is big fix and if they can just make on the next release (if not sooner)

-MD

Great news, in 19C (Aug release) we're releasing an update to these blank statuses so that they show as "No Status" and "Unsubscribed". If you've implemented the tips from this article, there is no impact. However, you wont have to do any customizations to work with these statuses in the future. Stay up to date on the 19C release using the Release Center: https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-895287

• Andy Shaw
    Andy Shaw Posts: 15 Gold Medal

Thanks, Alexa, this is really helpful and just what I needed for the report I'm trying to build! 😀