Discussions

Setting the value of a hidden field to the display text value from a drop list

Jem Janik
Jem Janik Posts: 31 Blue Ribbon
edited Apr 29, 2022 6:22AM in Eloqua

We use a picklist for our country drop downs in forms where the value matches the country code in SFDC.  It's a ugly string of characters that gives you no clue what the country value is when you see a notification email.

I am personally not great with javascript, but I've managed to get the country display value added to a hidden field so it is sent in the notification email with lots of googling.  To save you from googling here is the javascript:

//set value of hidden field from drop down list display textfunction ddlselect () {//set d to the drop down list var d = document.getElementById("fe44703");//grab the display text of the selected item var displaytext=d.options[d.selectedIndex].text;//set the value of the hidden fielddocument.getElementById("fe44715").value=displaytext;}window.onload = function() {document.getElementById("fe44703").addEventListener("change", ddlselect);}

In your form HTML you will be able to find the id values for your drop down list and hidden field.  In this example my drop down list is fe44703 and my hidden field is fe44715.  (Note: getElementByName is deprecated in HTML5).

Post edited by OIT Integration User on
Tagged:

Comments

• Jem Janik
    Jem Janik Posts: 31 Blue Ribbon

My real life application needs to both capture the country display name from the drop down, but also populate other hidden values from query string parameters.  Here is the final javascript for both.

var defaultHiddenFieldNameValue = "";

function getQueryStringParamValue(strQStrParam) {

var strURL = document.location.href;

var strQStrParamValue = "";

if (strURL.indexOf('?') != -1)

{

strQStrParamValue = strURL.substr(strURL.indexOf('?') + 1);

if (strQStrParamValue.indexOf(strQStrParam) != -1)

{

strQStrParamValue = strQStrParamValue.substr(strQStrParamValue.indexOf(strQStrParam));

strQStrParamValue = strQStrParamValue.substr(strQStrParamValue.indexOf('=') + 1);

if (strQStrParamValue.indexOf('&') != -1)

strQStrParamValue = strQStrParamValue.substr(0, strQStrParamValue.indexOf('&'));

return strQStrParamValue;

}else{

strQStrParamValue = defaultHiddenFieldNameValue;

}

}else{

strQStrParamValue = defaultHiddenFieldNameValue;

}

}

// Form name goes here

var form = "BP_CiB_EN";

function setCampaign(){

var elqForm = document.forms[0];

//repeat for each field to populate

elqForm.elements['CiB'].value = getQueryStringParamValue('CiBName');

elqForm.elements['rurl'].value = getQueryStringParamValue('rurl');

}

//set value of hidden field from drop down list display text

function ddlselect () {

//set d to the drop down list

var d = document.getElementById("fe44703");

//grab the display text of the selected item

var displaytext=d.options[d.selectedIndex].text;

//set the value of the hidden field

document.getElementById("fe44715").value=displaytext;

}

window.onload = function() {

document.getElementById("fe44703").addEventListener("change", ddlselect);

setCampaign();

}