Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use BULK api to Bulk Delete custom data object Records

Eddie Tang
Eddie Tang Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Dream It

Right now we have a Custom Object with over 1.7million records. I am using the custom object services to move into program canvas to delete those records nightly. The problem with this is that the custom object services has a 5000 record limit per few minutes to move to program canvas.

This leaves the entire process to take about 10hrs to perform.

32 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• 4Thought Marketing
    4Thought Marketing Posts: 57 Silver Trophy

Hi Eddie,

We have an app we designed to solve this issue. It will delete Custom Objects and give you an option of reporting on the ones you have deleted for future reference if needed. This is a stand-alone app, that allows you to select the Custom Objects you wish to bring in to delete and doesn't rely on a feeder to a canvas for it to work. I believe this will solve the issue you are facing and give you the added benefit of reporting functionality if needed.

Regards,

Erick Vargas

4Thought Marketing - Marketing Systems Analyst

• Lou Patrick
    Lou Patrick Posts: 188 Gold Badge
    edited August 2017

Thanks for this idea Eddie! Providing the ability to delete records via the Bulk API has been on my mind for a while, and I'm hoping this idea gets lots of votes!

When discussing adding this feature to the Bulk API, we always start thinking about the fact there is no way to retrieve records once deleted. Would this be an issue from your perspective? (i.e. would you be okay with the fact there is no way to retrieve records once deleted?)

• Thanks for this idea Eddie! Providing the ability to delete records via the Bulk API has been on my mind for a while, and I'm hoping this idea gets lots of votes!

When discussing adding this feature to the Bulk API, we always start thinking about the fact there is no way to retrieve records once deleted. Would this be an issue from your perspective? (i.e. would you be okay with the fact there is no way to retrieve records once deleted?)

Hi Lou,

We actually wouldn't have a problem with this, as the data is fed from our BI Database and the removal is triggered just so that we can load new data in.

Although it would be a great benefit to have records tracked, it wouldn't be a necessary step. If you think about it now, there are also no records for manual contact deletes (Other than manually exporting the data beforehand).