Discussions

Using a Blind Form Submit Link for One-Click Actions

AndyMarks
AndyMarks Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon
edited Apr 29, 2022 6:25AM in Eloqua

Creating a blind form submit link can be an easy and convenient way to capture limited information and perform a defined set of actions. Using a blind form submit link a contact can submit a simple form with preset values directly from an email without having to first visit a landing page. A few scenarios you may want to use blind form submit links for are:

• RSVP to an event
  • Request product updates
  • Customer survey/feedback

Create a Form

1. Create a new form and add the fields that will be automatically submitted by the blind form submit link, including the key field to map the data to a specific contact (i.e. Email Address).
  2. Make a note of the HTML Name of the form and each field as these will be used in the link.
  3. Configure the necessary Processing Steps (Update Contact, Update Custom Data Object, Add to Shared List, Add to Campaign, etc).

IMPORTANT: Always make sure you have configured a Redirect to Web Page step, otherwise the contact will just see a blank page after clicking the blind form submit link.

Build the Link

Begin with the following link template and insert the highlighted values:

http://s[siteID].t.eloqua.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=[FormName]&elqSiteID=[siteID]&emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>&[TrackedField]=[StaticValue]

[siteID]: To find your site ID, you can go to Settings > Company Defaults --OR-- in your form click on the Gear > View Form HTML > Integration Details (refer to attached screenshot).

[FormName]: This is the HTML Name of your form (located at the top of the form to the right of the Validation Failure Page).

[TrackedField]: This is the HTML Name of your form field that is being used in the blind form submit.

[StaticValue]: This is the value to be automatically populated for your form field in the blind form submit. You will likely need multiple versions of this link, each with a different static value for the various options a contact might select.

Example: You have FieldA in your form and contacts can either submit a value of “Option1” or “Option2”. You will have two hyperlinks, one with the parameter “&FieldA=Option1” at the end and one with “&FieldA=Option2” at the end. Each of these links will be enabled as hyperlinks for separate text or images in your email.

If you are using more than one tracked field in your blind form submit then simply copy and paste “&[TrackedField]=[StaticValue]” to the end of your link and fill in the values accordingly.

Example: You have FieldA and FieldB in your form. Each blind form submit link you create will need to have parameters for both of these tracked fields (i.e. &FieldA=Option1&FieldB=Option2).

IMPORTANT: If you change the HTML Name of the Email Address field on your form then you will need to update the “emailAddress” parameter in the blind form submit link to match (&emailAddress=<span%20class … ).

For more detailed instructions on building your blind form submit link, refer to this Eloqua Support Documentation.

Testing

Once you have built your blind form submit link, enable a hyperlink (text or image) in your Eloqua email and paste the link as the Website address for the hyperlink. Make sure you keep the various versions of your link organized based on the static value being passed to the form.

Send the email to multiple test contacts to try every possible combination of results. After clicking the blind form submit link from your test email, confirm the values were passed to your form correctly by opening the form and going to the Gear > View Submission Data. Also, confirm that any of the actions in your Form Processing Steps executed as expected.

For a great tip on how to test with multiple Eloqua contacts using only one email account, check out this post.

Post edited by OIT Integration User on

Comments

2955067 Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hi @AndyMarks

Can you throw some light on how it can be used in

• Customer survey/feedback in a form of case study/use case

Thanks

Faizal

• pvwetten
    pvwetten Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon

Thanks for the explanation and thanks for the tip about using multiple email adresses. Question regarding the email addresses with a + sign in it like e.g. [email protected]. When I use an email address like that to test the blind form submit, the bfs doesn't work. It looks like the email adress is not handled correctly in the form. Any experiences with this?

• AndyMarks

Thanks for the explanation and thanks for the tip about using multiple email adresses. Question regarding the email addresses with a + sign in it like e.g. [email protected]. When I use an email address like that to test the blind form submit, the bfs doesn't work. It looks like the email adress is not handled correctly in the form. Any experiences with this?

That's a great catch! I had not used the "+1" trick until you asked about it. I just tried it on one of my blind form submits and the form captures a valid submission, however, the email address that is passed to the blind form submit from the email excludes the "+" (so in the example above it would show as "bekki_b [email protected]" in the form submit). This means that the form submission would not be tied back to the contact record. You could use these "+" email addresses for testing an email send only, but if you have any form processing I would use the other method of adding periods in the email address.

• pvwetten
    pvwetten Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon

That's a great catch! I had not used the "+1" trick until you asked about it. I just tried it on one of my blind form submits and the form captures a valid submission, however, the email address that is passed to the blind form submit from the email excludes the "+" (so in the example above it would show as "bekki_b [email protected]" in the form submit). This means that the form submission would not be tied back to the contact record. You could use these "+" email addresses for testing an email send only, but if you have any form processing I would use the other method of adding periods in the email address.

Thanks Andy for checking this. Too bad the "+" solution doesn't work for a bfs, comforting to know that you see the same behaviour

• AndyMarks
    edited Dec 8, 2015 11:16AM

Hi @AndyMarks

Can you throw some light on how it can be used in

• Customer survey/feedback in a form of case study/use case

Thanks

Faizal

You could use a blind form submit for contact feedback in the case of any survey where you only want to capture a single response from the contact. Here are a couple of scenarios I can imagine:

1. Contact Preference

• Ask contacts to select which product line they are interested in / is applicable to them.
    • Ask contacts indicate their industry for the purpose of providing more specific information (you can then use Form Processing Steps to update Industry on the contact record).
    • Ask contacts for communication preferences to tailor their email frequency, etc.

2. Contact Satisfaction

• Ask contacts to provide feedback on their satisfaction with your company or your products.

3. Request Product Information

• Allow contacts to request specific communications (i.e. product line updates, newsletter, etc).

In each of these cases you would want to have a fairly small set of options where the contacts would only potentially select one option. You could have the hyperlinks be text-based or you could even create images as hyperlinks to mimic the look and feel of a survey. If you would potentially want contacts to select multiple options or provide comments then building a form on a landing page would be the better option.

• Thanks for the write-up, good info! I have a quick question: what happens when you use the link in an e-mail to an address that doesn't exist in Eloqua (yet)? Use-case: client's telesales department calls lead lists from various sources outside Eloqua, and they want to send Opt-in confirmation emails to these people, which basically adds them to Eloqua for the first time. Would it be possible to do this using BFS?

• AndyMarks

Thanks for the write-up, good info! I have a quick question: what happens when you use the link in an e-mail to an address that doesn't exist in Eloqua (yet)? Use-case: client's telesales department calls lead lists from various sources outside Eloqua, and they want to send Opt-in confirmation emails to these people, which basically adds them to Eloqua for the first time. Would it be possible to do this using BFS?

Let me make sure I understand the scenario... A third-party is calling leads and sends the opt-in confirmation from an outside system and only if they take action on this email is the contact added to Eloqua?

In that case I don't know how to make a blind form submit link work because - as far as I know - the link is dependent upon passing the address that the email was sent to in the URL parameter to Eloqua to associate it to an existing Eloqua contact (this segment of the URL: emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>). This is why a BFS link may fail in the case of forwarded emails.

It may be possible to have a version of a BFS link that writes a record to a custom data object (without associating to an existing contact) and a program could create contacts based on the data in this object, but I'm doubtful it's possible and I don't know how to accomplish it.

• Let me make sure I understand the scenario... A third-party is calling leads and sends the opt-in confirmation from an outside system and only if they take action on this email is the contact added to Eloqua?

In that case I don't know how to make a blind form submit link work because - as far as I know - the link is dependent upon passing the address that the email was sent to in the URL parameter to Eloqua to associate it to an existing Eloqua contact (this segment of the URL: emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>). This is why a BFS link may fail in the case of forwarded emails.

It may be possible to have a version of a BFS link that writes a record to a custom data object (without associating to an existing contact) and a program could create contacts based on the data in this object, but I'm doubtful it's possible and I don't know how to accomplish it.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. Yes, that is indeed the scenario. The outside system would be an Eloqua Engage email sent via SFDC. The SFDC instance is integrated with Eloqua, so in theory the email address would eventually end up in Eloqua as a contact once the Autosynch kicks in and pulls the new lead's data from SFDC into Eloqua. But I'd like to avoid the delay, as the salespeople need to be able to press that button to send the email and just be done with it (instead of having to be reminded of it later once the data is synced).

Actually, as I'm typing this, I think I could also just set up a campaign or program that handles sending the confirmation email with the BFS to new Eloqua contacts that came from SFDC (where the Opt-In is set to true or something). If I limit it to one campaign entry per contact, that ought to do the trick?

• AndyMarks

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. Yes, that is indeed the scenario. The outside system would be an Eloqua Engage email sent via SFDC. The SFDC instance is integrated with Eloqua, so in theory the email address would eventually end up in Eloqua as a contact once the Autosynch kicks in and pulls the new lead's data from SFDC into Eloqua. But I'd like to avoid the delay, as the salespeople need to be able to press that button to send the email and just be done with it (instead of having to be reminded of it later once the data is synced).

Actually, as I'm typing this, I think I could also just set up a campaign or program that handles sending the confirmation email with the BFS to new Eloqua contacts that came from SFDC (where the Opt-In is set to true or something). If I limit it to one campaign entry per contact, that ought to do the trick?

I think you've got the right idea...that sounds like a good plan to me.

• Now I decide not to expose mail address of the recipients in the blind form url.. How can i construct a blind form without email address? Can i use the Eloqua Contact ID instead as the key? If Yes how could i?

• Mike de Wildt
    Mike de Wildt Posts: 42 Silver Medal
    edited Oct 24, 2016 5:37AM

great post. I do have a question since it doesn't work for me (yet). The url i have built is the following:

http://s1392324200.t.eloqua.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=aanwezigheidgoes17&elqSiteID=s1392324200&email=<span%20class=eloqu…

when I save my html in Eloqua it changes it automatically to:

http://app.go.ebicus.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=aanwezigheidgoes17&elqSiteID=s1392324200&email=~~eloqua..type--emailfield..syntax--EmailAddress..innerText--EmailAddress..encodeFor--url~~&aanwezigheid=Ja&elqTrackId=2c51d0327eca42b2a1d125638f88c566

any idea why this is and if it is negatively affecting my URL?

When I press the attend event button (where this BFS is behind) I receive an error: "We are sorry but this is temporarily unavailable." on this URL --> http://app.go.ebicus.com/error

Probabaly not because when I put this code in my email (button) I get this error when clicking on it:

error.PNG

after several attempts and many different errots I got it working. Don't try to replace the ampersand with %26 :-)

Who knows more about this error?

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • IkramR
    IkramR Posts: 23 Blue Ribbon

Hello @Mike de Wildt,

Did you solve this problem ? If yes please share here.

• Mike de Wildt
    Mike de Wildt Posts: 42 Silver Medal

Hello @Mike de Wildt,

Did you solve this problem ? If yes please share here.

In my case it had to do with the first line of code <form method="post" name="formname" action="https://s00000000.t.eloqua.com/e/f2"....>

there is a difference between http and https which, if I recall right, was causing the error

• In my case it had to do with the first line of code <form method="post" name="formname" action="https://s00000000.t.eloqua.com/e/f2"....>

there is a difference between http and https which, if I recall right, was causing the error

This problem is happening to me and the url is changed each time I save it with http or https.

Oracle, whats the deal here?

• Thamina Christensen-Oracle
    Thamina Christensen-Oracle Group Product Manager Posts: 148 Employee
  • Hello,

I created a blind form in Eloqua and integrated the link into an Email (as a Web Page). Now, I've some questions :

1. Could I still use the decision step "form submitted?" in campaign scenario ? as it's real form. Do I need to add other asset ?

2. Is it mandatory to add a custom field "lead" in my blind form to register the generation of a lead ?

3. What is the process to transfer the information to SFDC once the lead is generated ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Dalia

• Hello,

I created a BFS for a Double Opt-In email and the issue I have is if a person clicks the BFS multiple time they will get that many Welcome Email.

Does anyone know a way to stop multiple submission on a BFS or possible conditional that could prevent?

The Form Processing steps has 2 Send Submitter an Email. This DOI and the WEL email, so I can change 'Allow Resending' to No cause then they never get the WEL as the DOI is first and 'Allow Resending' to No will never send the WEL email.

Should I move that out of Form Processing and maybe into Campaign Canvas process?

• jason.olas
    jason.olas Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jul 14, 2022 9:15PM

I appreciate the thorough write up for those that are new to blind for submits. It's a powerful tool to have in your tool chest but I am concerned about security software clicking through links on arrival to ensure its a safe destination. This is prevalent enough that Eloqua created an auto-click metric in the May release.

What are your, or anyone's thoughts on this issue?

Jason

• hckuss
    hckuss Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon

We use blind forms quite a bit and we've never had any issues.

• Sukirti-Oracle
    Sukirti-Oracle Digital CX Manager Posts: 75 Employee

Hello @jason.olas,

Thank you for your comment. I understand your concern. To eliminate the issue, you can leverage Eloqua Auto Open to filter out automatically opened email activities caused by scanning tools including Apple Mail. If you or others are interested to learn more, here is what I recommend taking a look at: https://community.oracle.com/topliners/discussion/4478170/oracle-eloqua-feature-kit-eloqua-auto-open#latest

Have a great rest of the day!