Seeking explanation for calculation discrepancies in Incident Effectiveness/Incident Performance...
I'm running two system reports-- "Incident Performance" (AC ID#78) and "Incident Effectiveness" (AC ID #81). I ran them a few months ago and noted the stats; running them today, all the stats (except one in #81) are different by a few percentage points. Based on my notes from before, I'm quite sure that I'm selecting the same interfaces, the same sources, and the same group-by. And I'm referring to the same date ranges-- for instance, grouped by month, my "November 2017" total was XX when I ran it in December 2017. Today, my November 2017 total was slightly different from